Why Organic Free Range Chickens?
Chickens naturally eat grass, insects, and plant seeds. But most farmers feed their chickens commercial chicken feed made up of mostly corn and soy. Additionally, most chickens are confined in commercial hen houses rather than allowing them to forage and feed in a more natural environment.
At Thankful Harvest we let all our poultry forage for food in pastures when it is seasonally appropriate.
They are also given a certified organic, non-soy diet.
Why are free range chickens are better?
- Eggs and meat have less saturated fat
- Eggs are higher in vitamin A and beta carotene
- Eggs and meat are higher in omega-3 fatty acids
- Eggs are higher in folic acid and vitamin B12
- Free range egg yolks are a brighter orange color due to higher levels of carotenoids
On our farm, we believe in raising healthy, happy chickens that eat what they were intended to eat, and have the freedom to cross the figurative road (our driveway) to the pastures.